Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Inspiration Stories(:

When I was younger, I used to play soccer with a couple of friends at the park. We decided that I should be the coach. So, one day, I was in a sporting store when I saw some soccer stickers. They were a cheap 6 pack, and I thought I could use them while I was 'coaching'. My mom wouldn't let me get them, so I walked out of the store disappointed. When in the process of leaving, I stopped to throw something away while my mom was ahead of me, and the man who had been standing in line behind us ran up to me and gave me the stickers and walked away without even saying anything. I have always remembered that kind act, and when I was older and in a store I decided to be that man, for a little girl who wanted some Minnie Mouse hair ties. I did the same thing as that man did that one day, long ago.(:

Take 7 walnuts and open them being careful not to chip or break them, remove the meat. Write an inspirational note on seven small slips of paper and put inside the walnuts. Glue the walnuts back together making the glue invisible. Decorate a small brown bag saying "Go Nuts and open one walnut a day" and put a name tag on it. Give it to a co-worker, a club member, someone who is having a tough time. (Notes can say things like "Smile, you're worth it" or "Your smile brightens my day" or "Someone thinks you're wonderful") Anything that makes a person feel special and good.

Create "Kindnesss Cards" with unique serial numbers and pass one to someone if you do a kind act towards them. That person passes it on by practicing kindness to others. Along the way, a website can be created where people can type in the serial number and explain the kindness that led to them receiving the card.

During my freshman year of college, I went 500 miles away from home in an effort to experience something new. Naturally, through the course of the year, I had my ups and downs, problems with friends, stress from school, and homesickness. There was one particularly bad week when everything seemed to be building and I had never been so stressed or upset. All I wanted to do was go home. I missed even having the privacy to cry in my room without having a roommate there.One night, after a really rough day during that week, I escaped to a rarely used stairwell. All of my friends had deserted me, it seemed, and I had a number of papers due at the end of the week. I was sobbing on the phone to my mom when two people came down the stairs together. The guy walked right past me, averting his eyes in mixed embarrassment and respect, I can only assume. But the girl he was with gave me a hug and a comforting and understanding smile. It was amazing to me that when none of my friends acted like they cared about me, a complete stranger did.


There is a homeless man that I often see outside the building I work in. I had never heard him ask anyone for anything, he was just always happy and smiling and telling people walking by to have a good day.One hot day, about 115 degrees, he was outside as I was leaving for the day and he asked me if I had any change. My initial thought was to just keep walking and say "sorry", but something made me stop. I knew it was hot and I knew I had a ton of change at the bottom of my purse. So I sat down next to him and started digging for change and we talked about how hot it was and he told me about a lady on the streets that had just passed away due to the heat. And I told him that he needed to make sure he drank as much water as he could. We went on talking for about 5 minutes. I learned he was hungry and wanted to get a hot dog at the little hot dog stand across the street. Finally I had dug up enough change to buy him a hot dog and a cold water. I told him to stay safe and cool, he told me to have a good day. I had seen him so many times before that day... but I haven't seen him once since then. Was it a test? One can only wonder.


I get pretty bored. So tonight I made little cards saying nice things and put them in people's mailboxes. Also, I printed out some choice quotes and made "peace flyers" and put them up. Hopefully some people notice!

Two years ago this Christmas, I had just started a job waiting tables. I only took this job because I needed money for the holidays and could not find any other work at the time. I was told that I would be waiting tables the day I started but instead I had to follow around a trainer. Then, they told me that I would not be receiving tips while I was training and would not get my paycheck until after Christmas. I was in the ladies room crying, when a lady came out of the stall and saw me. I didn't want to tell her what was going on, but it just came out. She left and came back and slipped me some money. She said it was all she had on her at the time. I refused but she insisted. When I looked down at my hand, it was a hundred dollar bill. I will never forget her act of kindness. It sure did help. There are some people out there that really do care. I am still learning that every day. I go out of my way to help others when I see that it is needed. I wish I knew the woman's namewho helped me, so that I could thank her. - Helen

At my neighborhood coffee shop, I always bring my frequent card to make sure it gets stamped.After purchasing 9 coffees, my 10th cup of any beverage is free.For the past 6 months, I realized that I felt so much better when I would offer that free cup of coffee, tea, latte, or mocha to someone who is outside freezing or cold in the rain. The next time you have a fully-stamped frequent card in your hand, why don't you go kindly approach a homeless person outside the coffee shop and ask if they would like to have a hot cup of coffee

No comments:

Post a Comment